FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Date: October 4, 2010
Contact: AKC Communications
AKC LAUNCHES NEW BREEDER OF MERIT PROGRAM
– Recognition Program Celebrates & Rewards Dedicated Breeders –
New York, NY – The American Kennel Club® (AKC®) announced today the launch of the Breeder of Merit program, a new initiative designed to recognize AKC’s core breeders.
“The Breeder of Merit program allows the American Kennel Club to celebrate our dedicated, passionate breeders who truly are the backbone of the sport and the foundation of our organization,” said AKC’s Chief Operating Officer John Lyons. “Our Breeders of Merit are committed to both improving their breed through health testing and selective breeding programs, and proving their breed through achievements in the show ring. They are special and will be emulated by new breeders entering the sport. Being a successful breeder in the Fancy does not come easy. Years of hard work, vision, and a willingness to do the right thing are required to be successful. Our Breeders of Merit have these qualities and deserve to be recognized.”
To achieve the Breeder of Merit designation, breeders should:
· Certify that applicable health screens are performed on the sire and dam as recommended by the Parent Club.
· Hold membership in an AKC club.
· Have a history of at least 5 years involvement with AKC events.
· Earn Conformation, Companion and/or Performance titles on at least 4 dogs they have bred/co-bred.
· Demonstrate their commitment to ensuring 100% of the puppies they produce are AKC registered.
As part of the Breeder of Merit program, breeders will receive:
· Complimentary access to $20.00 value per month for free online reports in the AKC online store.
· Access to the AKC Direct toll free number.
· Online Record support to ensure that their records are accurate, complete and easily accessible.
· A frameable certificate of distinction.
· Free Online Breeder Classified listings along with a special Breeder of Merit designation.
· Acknowledgement on a special page of the AKC website and in the AKC Gazette.
· Free or discounted fees on all secondary transactions such as duplicate registration applications, revoke limited status applications, etc.
· Breeder of Merit web banner for display on their website.
· Breeder of Merit lapel pin.
· Breeder of Merit designation and gold border on registration applications and certificates for dogs bred by the Breeder of Merit.
There are many easy registration options available to the Breeder of Merit, including Full Litter, Full Litter Offspring, Full Litter PLUS and Full Litter Offspring PLUS. Learn more at http://www.akc.org/sixeasyways/.
The American Kennel Club (AKC) proudly celebrated its 125th Anniversary in 2009. Since 1884 the not-for-profit organization has maintained the largest registry of purebred dogs in the world, and today its rules govern more than 20,000 canine competitions each year. The AKC is dedicated to upholding the integrity of its registry, promoting the sport of purebred dogs and breeding for type and function. Along with its nearly 5,000 licensed and member clubs and its affiliated organizations, the AKC advocates for the purebred dog as a family companion, advances canine health and well-being, works to protect the rights of all dog owners and promotes responsible dog ownership. Affiliate AKC organizations include the AKC Humane Fund, AKC Canine Health Foundation, AKC Companion Animal Recovery and the AKC Museum of the Dog. For more information, visit www.akc.org.
AKC, American Kennel Club, the American Kennel Club seal and design, and all associated marks and logos are trademarks, registered trademarks and service marks of The American Kennel Club, Inc.
May be crossposted