Select Page


Your animal may become poisoned in spite of your best efforts to prevent it. BE PREPARED!

You should keep the telephone numbers for your veterinarian, ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center and a local emergency veterinary service in a convenient location.

If you suspect that your pet has been exposed to a poison, it is important not to panic

In the event that you need to take your animal to your local veterinarian, be sure to take with you any product container. Also bring any material your pet may have vomited or chewed, collected in a zip-lock bag.

Here are some potential items that can injure your dog:

Onions, onion powder Chocolate (bakers, semi sweet, milk, dark) Alcoholic beverages, Yeast dough, Coffee (grounds, beans, chocolate covered espresso beans) Tea (caffeine), Salt, Macadamia nuts, Hops (used in home beer brewing)
Tomato leaves and stems (green parts), Potato leaves and stems (green parts,) Rhubarb leaves.

Automotive products such as gasoline, oil and antifreeze should be stored in areas that are inaccessible to your pets. Propylene glycol is a safer form of antifreeze. Sierra brand antifreeze contains propylene glycol and is recommended to use in pet households. Less than one tablespoon can be lethal to a 20 pound dog.

Before buying a flea product, consult your veterinarian, especially when treating sick, debilitated or pregnant pets. Read all of the information on the label before using a product on your pet or in your home.

Be aware of the plants you have in your home and yard. The ingestion of azalea, oleander, castor bean, sago palm, Easter lily or yew plant material by an animal can be fatal.

Never allow your pets to have access to the areas in which cleaning agents are being used or stored. Cleaning agents have a variety of properties; some may only cause mild stomach upset, but others can cause severe burns of the tongue, mouth and stomach.

When using rat, mouse, snail or slug baits, or ant or roach traps, place the products in areas that are inaccessible to your companion animals. Most baits contain ingredients that can attract your pets. Make sure your pets do not go on lawns or in gardens treated with fertilizers, herbicides or insecticides until they have dried completely. Always store such products in areas that are inaccessible
to your companion animals.

Never give your companion animals medication unless you are directed to do so by a veterinarian. Many medications that are safe for humans can be deadly for animals. TYLENOL is toxic to dogs! Keep all drugs out of your pets’ reach, preferably in closed cabinets. Pain killers, cold medicines, anti-cancer drugs, antidepressants, vitamins and diet pills are all examples of human medications that can be lethal to animals, even in small doses. For example, one 200mg ibuprofen tablet could cause stomach ulcers in a small dog, and as few as 6 could cause kidney failure.

Many common household items can be lethal to animals. Mothballs, potpourri oils, coffee grounds, homemade play dough, fabric softener sheets, dishwashing detergent, batteries, cigarettes, alcoholic drinks and hand and foot warmers are potentially toxic.

compiled by
Cathy Kendrick
DPCA Public Education Committee